Wednesday, July 10, 2013

A is for Animal

A couple weeks ago (yes, I'm way behind) we discussed the letter A. I thought it would be fun for the kids to make animals out of pipe cleaners. I received this bag of pipe cleaners, pom poms and wiggle eyes from CraftProjectIdeas.com.
I loved that some of the pipe cleaners were striped. They would make perfect tigers! Because it's hard to glue pom poms to pipe cleaners (you either need to use a glue gun or hold them together for a very long time -- not ideal for kids) I decided to have them glue their animals to construction paper. I have a very small class this summer so I was able to sit down with two students at a time to help them work on these. Once they picked which animal they wanted to make, I cut up the pipe cleaners into body parts. For the most part, four legs, a body, a neck and a tail. The kids put the pieces together on their paper before using any glue. Then they picked up one piece at a time and added glue with a toothpick.

We used craft glue, but I think Elmer's glue would work as well. Some kids chose to use a pom pom for the head. The wiggle eyes were added last.
We had a few tigers,


a zebra,
and an alligator.
Yep, that's it. I told you I have a small class! But it was fun and I plan on doing it again soon!

No comments: